Business as usual


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Alcohol is thoroughly unpleasant. How I fail to remember this for longer than 48 hours I do not know. Anyway, I’m getting ahead of myself…

As mentioned previously, I have just spent the weekend in Kettering. It was part of my tour for seeing friends before I leave for Japan. Fortunately they have all finished university now so there was quite a few of them around, some of whom I hadn’t seen for quite a while. By chance, this weekend was also host to Coey’s birthday, which worked out rather nicely.

I trekked down on the Friday after work. This time the trains behaved themselves, despite some minor delays and I was able to get to Kettering for the planned time of 6pm. I spent a large part of the train ride down playing Animal Crossing on my DS Lite (yes, I am a sad act - no, I don’t care). Upon arriving at Kettering, I was met at the station by Coey, Joliver and Hindu and we then went to Frankie and Benny's for a meal. As is par for the course at Frankie and Benny's, the prices were high and the portions were few – “It was everything I expected and less”. The food is nice enough though and they have ‘learn Italian’ CDs playing in the toilets (presumably in case one should meet a nice Italian man in there?). We then spent a couple of hours in a pub before going to the cinema to see Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest. It is a good film, but unfortunately the ending is thoroughly disappointing. I don’t want to spoil it for anyone who hasn’t seen it, so I shan’t go into details, but the film is left decidedly open for a third film. Now normally I’d be pleased that they had left the film open to make it a trilogy, as I rather like these films – however, when I say “open”, I mean like a ravine. It is as if it is just one really long film that has randomly been cut in the middle and will no doubt have a 2-3 year gap in between instalments. Needless to say, this is somewhat frustrating, especially given the fact that I had to sell a kidney just to afford the cinema ticket. I swear, I was asked if I owned my own home when I tried to buy my ticket. Well, maybe I am exaggerating ever so slightly – but what is exaggeration, if not a more interesting version of the truth? Therefore my word is practically gospel.

On Saturday we went to town to have lunch in The Earl, which was just as nice as Frankie and Benny's and about a quarter of the price. We were joined for lunch by Joliver, Absmith and Absmith’s friend Kyle. We were then joined by Hindu, and later Edd, and then spent the rest of the afternoon trekking around various pubs in Kettering, laying the foundations for the evening as we were celebrating Coey’s birthday that evening. What I can remember from the rest of that evening is vague and blurred, but that’s probably for the best – especially given the alarming amount of Black Sambuca that said memories involve. What I do remember is Coey, Edd, Joliver and myself staggering back to Joliver’s house for the night after failing dismally to get a taxi (I ordered a taxi, which upon arriving 30 minutes later, prompted us to notice that none of us had any money left at all). I have a vague memory of us hearing screams of pain coming from the local council estate down the road, so we trekked round it for a while to see if we could see anyone, but to no avail. No doubt it was some other drunken idiot.

Sunday morning greeted me with that all too familiar feeling of ‘I wish I was dead’. Argh. Death.Coey and I trekked back to town to get a bus to Coey’s house, where I was later picked up by my parents. Upon getting home, I went to bed and hoped that my head would just get it over and done with and explode.

Now I am back at work for another week of toil, until this coming weekend where I shall make my final trip to Hull before I head off to the far side of the globe. No doubt it will once again serve as another reminder of the evils of imbibing alcohol, but I’ll worry about that at the time.


0 Responses to “Business as usual”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 



Email Me