World, Hold On!


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Guten tag. This post was delayed slightly as YouTube was being slow, but now all is well so I can get you all up to date.

Firstly, it seems I am two monthly reviews behind; so without further ado, May and June scored 7/10 and 9/10 respectively. Mainly as in May I found a job, then in June I got paid, got a DS Lite, saw Dylan Moran live and there were no doubt other enjoyable things too.

Anyway, now that that's done, I can get on with summarising the time between my last post and now. I've been working lots and finding my job to be getting increasingly more burdened with responsibility as every day more and more people decide that I will become their go-to-guy when ever they need something done. Still, it is a means to an end so that is all that matters.

This weekend past I spent with my brothers and it was most excellent. On the friday, my brother Paul picked me up after work and we trekked down to Welwyn Garden City to stay with my other brother Nigel. We had a giant Chinese and watched some Black Books as I have managed to get Nigel hooked to it after buying him the boxset. On saturday morning we were joined by the fourth in our quartet, my brother Richard. The four of us then set out to our day in London. It was an absolutely baking hot day, as many of you are no doubt aware, but fortunately I had left work early the day before to get some combat shorts, as I didn't fancy walking round London in jeans in that heat. We toured round various places, including looking round Covent Garden for the O'Neill shop so I could buy an awesome hat that I had been after for a while. After looking round the shops, we went to Wagamamas for lunch. It is a Japanese-style noodle bar. As I am moving to Japan next month, we figured I might as well have Japanese food in London and pay 4 times the price. Still, it was really nice - I had a great Chicken Katsu Curry. After lunch, we had a look round the London Aquarium, which was interesting, but not really worth the rather hefty cost of entry. On the plus side, they had lovely air-conditioning in there. You can see some footage from inside below...



Upon leaving the aquarium, I was able to see/hear the Gay Pride parade that was taking place on the other side of the Thames. Never have I seen so many people mincing simultaneously. It was a really long parade with an extremely long procession of floats. To their credit they were playing some banging chowns, and they were so loud they could be heard clearly from the far side of the river where I was standing.

The main high point of the day was our trip out on a life boat along the Thames. It was brilliant. It sped along the river up towards Docklands, then turned around and came back slowly whilst a cockney guy pointed out some of the sights along the river and gave us some history behind them. It was really interesting - I never knew the 'wharf' stands for 'WareHouse At River Front' (now you all know too). It seems that quite a few of the really old buildings to survive were pubs, which is kind of indicative of English culture. Some dated back to the 16th century. Anyway, below is some footage of the life boat speeding up the Thames:



We then headed to one of our favourite London pubs - The Princess Louise, which is in High Holborn and is one of the few pubs not to have a TV in it; so it was rather quiet, unlike every other pub in London which was full of people watching the England v Portugal game. They have their own brand of beer/lager and it is particularly awesome. It went down a treat on such a hot day. We also spoke to some interesting people, including a punk with a pink Mohican (haircut that is - not an American Indian with a pigmentation problem) who was telling us about his friend who worked promoting Black Currant Tango at festivals by leaving empty cans and bottles everywhere to make it look like loads of people had been drinking it. Alcohol-induced conversation is generally the best kind of conversation. Well, I say that - shortly before we left the pub it became subject to drunken, disheartened English supporters who were randomly shouting at people in the pub. I felt immensely sorry for the bar staff as one of the fans drunkenly shouted down his phone the name of the pub to his friends so they could no doubt join him in being obnoxious. Still, it was to be expected really.

We left the pub and headed back to Welwyn Garden City. My brother Richard left us at that point, so the rest of us got a curry for dinner (my second curry of the day).

On sunday Paul gave me a lift back to Lincoln, though before that we went to The Galleria. This is a big outlet centre. There were quite a few shops and they were selling all the usual brands but at silly prices, so obviously I was compelled to load up on some clothes. We then popped to Welwyn Garden City centre to have a look round the shops there as well. By mid-afternoon I was back in Lincoln and relaxed for the rest of the day, before returning to work on Monday.

Now I am just working my way through the week; earning pennies and planning how to spend them. On friday I am off down to Kettering for the weekend to see a load of old sixth form friends and celebrate Coey's birthday. So until next week - I bid you adieu.


2 Responses to “World, Hold On!”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    the Chicken Katsu Curry is particularly good.
    thats all i wanted to say.
    bye x

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Hehe that it is - I can't wait to try more Japanese food. Good thing I am moving there soon then really.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 



Email Me